BigWorldAndSmallWorld Blog

Got a good Chinese name for your brand?

Posted in Chinese language,East and West by Administrator on the January 4th, 2012

In China, names have deep significance. They can influence consumer behavior and imagination. When a foreign brand wants to enter the Chinese market, the first and the most important thing to do is to have an excellent and well-thought Chinese name that caters to the Chinese people. I consider these foreign brands’ Chinese names smart, easy to read and remember, pleasant to the ears, and very meaningful.

On top of the winners’ list is Revlon 露华浓. The Chinese name actually came from Tang Dynasty famous poet Li Bai’s poem. The name makes people wanting to try the cosmetic and make oneself look as beautiful as Tang Emperor Xuanzong’s beloved concubine Yang who was regarded as one of the four most beautiful women in China’s history.

The 2nd place winner is Coca-Cola 可口可乐 literally means happy mouth makes a happy person.

The rest on my favorite names list are:
Cannon 佳能 for good functions and capabilities
Home Depot 家得宝 for home receives treasure
IKEA 宜家 for easy and comfortable home
Nike 耐克 for endurance, persistence and long-lasting
Reebok 锐步 for quick steps. I would want a pair of shoes feel so light on my feet that I feel like I can run faster.
BMW 宝马 for precious horse
Channel 香奈儿 very good phonetic translation, sounds soft and fragrant
Master 万事达 for achieve 10,000 things
Carrefour 家乐福 for happy and lucky family
Bing 必赢for winning every time

On the contrary, phonetic translation like Hilton 希尔顿 means nothing in Chinese. To come up with a good Chinese name is not easy; however with some knowledge and due-diligence it is achievable.

68 Responses to 'Got a good Chinese name for your brand?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Got a good Chinese name for your brand?'.

1. on August 7th, 2017 at 10:54 am

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again

2. on August 9th, 2017 at 1:35 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

3. codeine said,

on August 12th, 2017 at 10:16 am

Really nice style and design and wonderful subject material , absolutely nothing else we require : D.

4. on August 13th, 2017 at 7:48 am

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for!

5. scam said,

on August 15th, 2017 at 9:01 am

obviously like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality however I will certainly come back again.

6. on August 16th, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

7. on August 17th, 2017 at 11:20 am

you will have a great weblog here! would you wish to make some invite posts on my weblog?

8. on August 18th, 2017 at 3:30 am

Interesting article. It is very unfortunate that over the last years, the travel industry has already been able to to take on terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, flu virus, swine flu, as well as first ever entire global downturn. Through it the industry has proven to be strong, resilient and dynamic, discovering new approaches to deal with adversity. There are continually fresh problems and the opportunity to which the marketplace must yet again adapt and reply.

9. on August 18th, 2017 at 3:04 pm

You have brought up a very superb points , thankyou for the post.

10. on August 19th, 2017 at 4:25 am

Keep working ,impressive job!

11. on August 19th, 2017 at 4:00 pm

A large percentage of of the things you point out happens to be supprisingly accurate and that makes me wonder why I hadn’t looked at this with this light previously. Your article truly did switch the light on for me as far as this specific subject goes. Nevertheless there is actually just one position I am not really too cozy with so whilst I make an effort to reconcile that with the core idea of the point, allow me see what the rest of your subscribers have to point out.Nicely done.

12. on August 20th, 2017 at 12:34 pm

I’ve recently started a site, the info you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.

13. Dubai Escort said,

on August 21st, 2017 at 3:07 am

You have observed very interesting details ! ps decent internet site . “Formal education will make you a living self-education will make you a fortune.” by Jim Rohn.

14. Fishing said,

on August 21st, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish amazing. Great job!

15. on August 22nd, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome blog!

16. on August 23rd, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

17. on August 23rd, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include almost all significant infos. I would like to see more posts like this.

18. Administrator said,

on August 24th, 2017 at 4:30 pm

No it did not happen to me. I’m sorry I don’t know a method to prevent hacking.